Cargo theft remains a exceptional possibility to the transportation business. In one high-profile case in 2022, 3 Florida men stole more or less $9 million worth of red meat and purple meat from refrigerated cars that had left meatpacking plants inside the Midwest and Great Plains over the method a one year.
In the second a part of 2022, tales of cargo theft and fraud rose 27% year-over-year. Parking somewhat so much and truck stops are the most common location for cargo theft incidents on the other hand secured yards are not immune from cargo theft.1 Even though circle of relatives pieces and foods products keep now not abnormal targets, higher-value pieces, corresponding to cars, electronics and prescribed drugs also are regularly focused.
The 4 most now not abnormal cargo theft eventualities include:
- Purple zones: Areas with ports and number one interstate junctions continue to be hotspots for criminals, along with California, Texas, Georgia, Florida and Illinois.1
- Hijacking: Criminals are getting bolder, taking choices to steal cargo and even hijacking equipment at truck stops, recreational areas and gasoline islands when drivers are refueling, the usage of the facilities and while taking an hours of supplier (HOS) injury.
- Inside jobs: An employee with detailed knowledge of the cargo at the side of the basis and holiday spot problems is conscious about when and where a high-value shipment may be prone and have tipped off an outsider at the ones details in an effort to facilitate a theft.
- Organized crime: Organized groups of criminals have refined strategies in place to accomplish cargo heists, as demonstrated inside the red meat and purple meat heists mentioned above.
7 highest practices to offer protection to your somewhat so much
As cargo theft continues to expand and evolve, companies can implement defensive measures to mitigate losses, along with the following:
- Use GPS tracking for power units and trailers. Portable tracking gadgets can have the same opinion discover a stolen automobile or missing trailer. On the other hand, this is not an all-encompassing answer, as they may be able to be disabled in fairly a large number of ways or the signal can also be blocked
- Enforce cargo tracking. Trustworthy cargo trackers can also be integrated with load contents, offering a chance to track stolen products anywhere they transfer. Shipments of high-value apparel or pharmaceutical items, for instance, would most likely use the ones, which may well be further loyal than their GPS cousins because of they use cell phone generation. They are moreover further dear. Costs can also be minimized by way of together with trackers to a make a choice choice of products (not all of them), as criminals in most cases steal in batches. Use enough trackers in products that at least one tracker it will be taken in a batch of stolen product.
- Put professional drivers in your higher-value somewhat so much. Use depended on drivers, those who have hauled a variety of somewhat so much along with over the top value somewhat so much, and those who understand the procedures taken to stick their cargo, equipment and most importantly, themselves transparent of harm. Art work as a personnel with the motive force prior to loading, reminding them of the extra procedures that are meant to be taken on most of these somewhat so much.
- Plan your routes. Remind drivers to avoid crimson zones and over the top crime-rate areas, particularly when combating or parking. Drivers should have no less than 200 miles worth of gasoline and enough hours of supplier to head from side to side that distance previous than settling on up a load. This may increasingly have the same opinion to reduce stops and thieves would most likely develop into upset with the cargo as a result of it’ll get earlier their purpose zone.
- Train your drivers. Be certain drivers know that cars and trailers should be locked and sealed, and that they’re going to have to ascertain secure, well-lit parking areas previous than leaving the automobile. Additional measures include positioning the trailer to a development to prevent the doors from being opened. Look forward to cars following the truck and do not talk concerning the cargo with others each — on the phone or over the CB radio.
- Employ superb hiring practices and leverage background tests. Superb hiring practices should extend to dispatchers, somewhat so much planners, warehouse and dock staff, not merely drivers. Phrase that warehouse staff do not want to know the routes drivers take to reach their holiday spot, which is in a position to further offer protection to a load from imaginable theft.
- Achieve good enough cargo coverage. Companies should make a decision if they’ve the correct amount of cargo insurance plans, in particular as the cost of pieces upward push. Art work together with your insurance plans agent to remedy gaps, and imagine the usage of a cargo rider for explicit, high-value somewhat so much. Regulate your coverage as business scales up or winds down, or your product mix changes.
Only a small proportion of cargo thieves are caught and prosecuted. And only a small proportion of stolen cargo is ever recovered. Many regulation enforcement teams shouldn’t have the manpower to decide to most of these cases over higher-profile crimes. Taking steps to make somewhat so much a lot much less attractive and more difficult to steal, can have the same opinion to reduce cargo theft.
 Verisk “Winter Holiday Cargo Theft Dispositions and Protection Highest Practices 2022,” December 16, 2022.
 Business Insurance policy “Cargo losses escalate as thieves purpose cars, electronics,” Would most likely 31, 2022.